Lakeview Regional Medical Center, in collaboration with the Junior League of Greater Covington, will host a Girls’ Health Day on Saturday, January 24 from 10am until 12:30pm on the Lakeview Regional Medical Center campus. The theme “Be Healthy. Be Happy. Be You.” incorporates the topics of girl’s health issues, including self esteem, healthy eating, and internet safety.
“Girls’ Health Day is designed to promote healthy, positive behaviors in girls between the ages of 6 and 16,” states Dr. Brandee Simon-Davis, Girls’ Health Day organizer and physician at Lakeview Regional Medical Center. “When girls are given the tools they need to be strong at a young age, they will grow up to be strong women, and know how to make responsible and healthy choices.”
Girls will take part in discussions presented by Sherrí Hansen (owner/director of Culinary Kids), Christine Howell, MEd, NCC, LPC (local practicing counselor), Emily Ruffino (Franco’s trainer and nutritionist), Catherine Wilburn, MD (owner of Nutrition Company), social media safety and internet safety, Noah Cockfield, IT Director. . Louisiana State Troopers will discuss seat belt and booster seat safety, and distribute materials on bullying.. Girls will learn about making healthy food choices by Junior League Kids in the Kitchen; and fitness/health interactive activities will take place. Several local health and wellness vendors will be present to provide information to help girls educate themselves on topics relevant to their own lives. Other activities will include free health screenings (vision, hearing, BMI measurements and blood pressure assessments) by local physicians. The event also includes an opportunity to “Be a Doctor for the Day”—experience the Di Vinci robot by performing simulated surgical activities using the surgical robot.
For more information on Girls’ Health Day please call (985) 867-3900.
- 10 a.m to 12:30 p.m. Di Vinci Robot, Simulated Surgical Activity
- 10 a.m. Puberty & Changes to Expect, Kelly Brewster, MSN, WHNP, Center for Women’s Health
- 10:30 a.m. Healthy Eating, Dr. Catherine Wilbert, ND, Nutrition Company
- 11:00 a.m. Zumba, Gretchen James, Franco’s Health Club
- 11:45 a.m. Internet Safety & Social Media, IT Director Noah Cockfield
- Bullying: Christine Howell
- Franco’s Health Club, Emily: Fitness Director
- Seat Belt Safety & Bulling: Louisiana State Troopers
- Cooking Demonstration: Culinary Kids, Sherri Hansen
- Kids in the Kitchen: Junior League
- Lakeview Regional Physician Group: Blood Pressure Checks & BMI measurements
- Instar Counseling: Christine Howell
- Eye Screening: Eye Care 20/20
- Brain Core Therapy: Care Chiropractic Clinic
- St. Tammany Parish Communication District: 911
- Massages, provided by Premier Chiropractic
- Dental Hygiene: Bippos Dentistry
- Pollinating Kindness: Linda Armantrout
- Car Safety & Bullying: Louisiana State Troopers
- NAMI, National Alliance of Mental Illness